Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Home Sweet Home: Watermelon



What comes to mind when you think of summer? Maybe things like playing outside, eating watermelon and spitting out the seeds in the grass until you were a pink drippy covered mess and then swimming in the pool to clean off.  This is the image that I wanted to capture in the bright cheerfulness of my watermelon "O".

I started with painting the entire block of wood white.  After a couple of layers I lightly drew lines with a pencil around the outside edge of varying widths and painted them with a light and a medium shade of green acrylic paint.  The watermelon pink paint I admit was a custom mixture of colors.  It took a couple pinks, a little red and some white before I found the right combination that made me think summer.

Once all of that was dry I sealed it with a satin gloss finish acrylic paint sealer and then hammered carpet tack nails randomly across the front for the seeds.  A big thank you goes to my sister Amber for the idea of the carpet tacks.  They look cute and it saved my from possibly messing the whole thing up by trying to paint on little black seeds.

You can check out the main post for this project and all it's monthly letter "O" links here HOME SWEET HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment