Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Minion in ME - Despicable Me Minion Felt Mask Design

This week has been what I would have considered a slow week as far as creativity goes.  Between doctor appointments and therapy for my son Jeremiah and my husband being out of town on business for a couple of days, I have felt like I was dragging.  But as I have looked over my week I realize that I accomplished more then I thought I did.

Friday morning we went as a family to the kids summer movie program in our area and watched "Despicable Me 2".  It's a cute movie all four of my older kids loved.  The little minions in both the Despicable Me movies have become quite the phenomenon.  And I have to admit that even I think they are pretty funny.  This movie prompted my inner designer to step forward and demand some attention.

So while my mother was over and we were sewing in the afternoon, I set to work designing some very cute minion felt masks for the Etsy Shop: Our Cozy Creations.  I started with the normal goggle eye minion, because figuring out where to put eye holes for the kids was pretty easy.  And not wanting the girls to feel left out I came up with a way to make both little girl and little boy minions by adding eyelashes and a cute hair bow.

Then I started on the single eye goggle minions.  This was a bit trickier since I didn't want to ruin the look and shape of the minion, but the person wearing the mask still needed to be able to see.  I was never able to figure out how to put on eyelashes that would actually look cute on a one eyed minion, but I think they turned out pretty cute anyway.  So this is what I managed to actually accomplish this week with a little sewing help from my mother since she made up the shop samples after I drafted the pattern.  Coming soon:  Purple minion masks.  I am really excited about these because all that crazy hair is just going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment